Favourite and Least Favourite Math Teachers
My favourite math teacher was one I had in my last year of high school. To me, what made them a great teacher wasn't their way of teaching math, nor how much math I learned from them, but it was their attitude towards teaching that bled into the classroom every time I was there. I've always liked math so I definitely cannot speak for students that hate math regardless, but this teacher stood out to me because they very obviously wanted to be there. The teacher never gave up on any students no matter how bad their attitude was towards math; constantly putting in effort to try to get her students to have fun yet learn math at the same time. They always encouraged students to participate in activities never giving up on those that were more quiet in the back of the class. This never give up attitude and the balance between strictness and leniency was what really stuck with me and made me want to be like them.
My least favourite teacher was one that was completely opposite. They very obviously did not want to be there, constantly giving unengaging lectures where they did not ask any students to participate at all, while giving us worksheets on worksheets to just complete in class or at home. This approach isn't very effective at all for anyone but maybe some of the best and smartest people who's super good at math regardless of the teacher. Sure the math content is similar, and maybe some students can argue they prefer this teacher due to their faster pace since if you understood the lecture then you're good, but this isn't engaging nor does it help foster a learner attitude.
Teachers should not only be teaching students the subject and curriculum but teaching students how to navigate through life. The attitude they should be bringing everyday and the mindsets that will help them succeed no matter the circumstances. The best way to do that is by being an example for them and making them feel the impact this kind of attitude and mindset can have on others. I want to bring this into my classroom and foster an environment that can provide a sense of comfort and challenge while showing that I'll all the students are listened to no matter how they are doing in math.
Comments
Post a Comment